Mazda Bongo Specifications: Mazda introduced Mazda Bongo and Ford Freda models in 1995. Initially these models were intended for JDM – Japan Domestic Market. These luxury people carriers were equipped with factory fitted camper roof, branded as Auto Free Top. Mazda supplied the campers with 2.5L Turbo Diesel and V6 Petrol engines. It’s worth noting that automatic that 4-speed automatic transmissions went fully electronic in 2001.
Mazda Bongo Top Speed
The real world Top Speed is 115 mph. Going above that is not safe. The Bongo safe maximum cruising speed is 90 mph, more than that and it becomes unsettled.
Ford Freda Re-branding
To adapt to other markets, Mazda re-branded Bongo Friendee camper as the Ford Freda. Ford Freda even have a Ford VIN plate. Basically Mazda Bongo Friendee and Ford Freda are the same vehicles. The only small differences are:
- Front grille
- Wheel trims and
- Interior trim cloth patterns
- Obviously the steering wheel bosses were branded by vehicle.
Mazda Bongo Models
For some models of Mazda Bongo specifications differ. For example all Mazda Bongos have 4-speed automatic transmissions. Except for 1997 models that have manual transmission. Here are some of Bongo Friendee model variations:
- SGL5 is the most sold Bongo. It has a 2.5L Turbo Diesel, 130 ps engine and Four Wheel Drive (4WD). Made from 1995 onwards.
- SGL3 is the 2nd most sold Bongo. It also has 2.5L Turbo Diesel, 130 ps engine. The difference is that it’s a rear wheel drive (2WD) vehicle. Manufactures from 1995 onwrads.
- There are some rare 5-speed manual Bongo and Freda campers that were manufactured in 1997.
- E-SG5W Mazda Bongo models have 2.5L V6 Petrol, 151 PS engine and a Four Wheel Drive (4WD)
- E-SGE3 Mazda Bongo models have 2.0L Petrol, 102 PS engine and a 2WD Rear wheel drive. This model has a good MPG rating.
Here’s this information in table format:
|SGL5||2.5L Turbo Diesel||130||4WD|
|SGL3||2.5L Turbo Diesel||130||2WD|
|E-SG5W||2.5L Petrol V6||151||4WD|
Have a look at real Mazda Bongo campers available for sale from 321Away.
Mazda Bongo Specifications
Click on tabs to see Mazda Bongo dimensions, fuel consumption and other specs.
- 4WD 2300 Kg
- 2WD 2130 Kg
- Length: 4.58m (15’3”)
- Height: elevating roof 2.09m (6’10”) or Bongo van tin top 2.0m
- Width: 1.69m (5’9”)
- Engine 2.5 turbo diesel intercooler 4 cylinder 3v per cylinder. Cruises at 90 m.p.h. Europe only!
- Power: 127 ps 130 BHP
- Diesel: 25 to 30 + MPG Avg.
- Power-steering, twin air-con
- Years: late 1995 to new
- Low cost servicing
- Excellent all round visibility
- Wheels: 15” Alloys or Steels
- Factory ventilation/insulation
- Drivetrain 4WD or 2WD both are in stock at 321away
- Bongo Gearbox 4 – speed switchable automatic or manual transmission (manual are a rare 1997 ish beast) using a ford Transit Clutch friction plate
- Max. 8 seat belted passengers. 6 x three point belts
Find your own Mazda Bongo Friendee camper in our catalogue.